Equestrian Riding Instruction
Kapiti Stables is able to provide basic riding lessons for children and adults older than 6 years old. We have some friendly horses who love to help people develop their riding skills.
Kapiti Stables can provide a 15 session 'learn to ride' package based on the following information. Each riders experience will be slightly different as the guide will adapt lessons accordingly to the riders experience and ability. All lessons are private and completed on an individual basis.
- General horse care (how to care and groom a horse)
- Handling a horse (developing positive ground work to gain a close relationship with your horse)
- Body posture and how to mount and dismount a horse safely
- Riding basics including how to use the reins, leg control, how to stop and go.
- Horse safety and communication including how to read a horse when it is at risk of flight.
- Basic movement including walking and trotting
- Riding out of the paddock (how to ride safely in wide open spaces)
- how to lunge a horse
- paddock management
- feet work for a horse
- playing games with a horse
- working through obstacle courses with a horse
Time and cost:
- Children (aged 6 - 12) 30 minutes $30 per session
- Adult (over 13 years old) 60 minutes $50 per session
- 10% discount when pre-paying for 15 lessons altogether.